Thursday, July 11, 2013

Back from the war: another pouch/clutch I will NEVER sew again

Okay, so I don't really feel like I just got back from active combat, but I swear my current foul mood is a direct result of this project.  I came across this woman's craft blog and saw some links for sewing tutorials that looked fun.  Then, I discovered she was one of those idealistic bloggers who believes Pinterest is destroying creativity and the business of being a craft blogger.

I know nothing about making money by blogging (nor do I ever care to), but I can attest that I have visited more blogs (thus upping their view counts, or whatever you call them) and sewn more than ever in my entire life since I signed up with Pinterest.  Maybe this blogger's attitude should have been a red flag, because her tutorial gave me major fits.  She even wrote at the top of the blog entry that she understood some people had problems with this tutorial.  Did that stop me?  No.  I have made tons of pouches and bags and understand the basics of bag construction.  Apparently, my understanding differed wildly from hers.  I should have just clicked onto another one of the umpteen pouch/clutch tutorials I have pinned and forgotten all about this Scrappy Clutch.

I won't bore you with an enumeration of my problems with the construction of this clutch/pouch/disaster, but my chief complaint was the method for installing the zipper.  I couldn't do it her way properly if my life depended on it.  I tried and tried, and eventually got something workable, but it's far from decent.  I'm not sure what she had against the way virtually everyone else on the planet does it, but I do know I should have just ignored her instructions and sewn the zipper the right way.  Here is the finished product, which is made from all sorts of scraps I had in my stash.



Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I even really tried this pouch and wasted a zipper on it.  It's pretty similar to a much-better constructed pouch, whose tutorial I could have altered to add padding and a strap (in addition to making it a little bigger).  I know bloggers who post free sewing tutorials don't owe me anything, but I still feel extremely frustrated and cranky after making this pouch.  I think I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment