Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas chevron runner

Can someone please tell me whether this is a table runner, a table topper, or what?  I have no idea what to call these little shortie table runners that I make.  If a table runner is running a marathon, these shortie ones I make are just running sprints.  I like them a little shorter for use on my kitchen island so we're not constantly having to remove them.  Here's the latest one I made from a remnant that caught my eye at the fabric store:



I'm really bummed that I have to put this away with the rest of the Christmas decorations, but it will be really fun to bring it out next December.  I used the backing (which was cut from an old tablecloth) also as the binding using my favorite tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew.  The cloth was probably a bit too thick to be doing it that way, but I forged ahead and forced it into submission at the mitered corners.  I used felt as the batting.

The most exciting part of the project (and what was actually the whole reason I tackled it) was that I was able to use my brand-spankin' new walking foot for the quilting.  You might ask "what quilting?" because it's pretty subtle.  I just used off-white thread and followed the edges of the off-white chevrons.  I didn't want to distract from the pattern of the fabric, and I was pleased with the result.  The walking foot is awesome, and I can't wait to use it again.

I have a bit more of the fabric and I'm thinking of sewing up a quick piped basket to throw in with the Christmas decorations since I gave away all of the piped baskets I made last month.

2 comments:

  1. HI NIKI, i would cal them placemats. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, just create your own name. While it is the size of a place mat, it's function is different. Maybe something like table-mat, or something far more creative, like your lovely chevron creation.

    ReplyDelete